Thursday, December 1, 2011

The after math

Aside from the jet lag and sore throat from the burst of coldness I was greeted by, I wanted to write a little bit about my trip.

The trip that changed my perspective on everything in life.

Vroom Vroom


The whole plane ride from the states my eyes were glued to the cute little screen on the seat in front of me which showed me where we were at the time. I wasn't even nervous about going to a foreign country where I won't be able to understand anything. After maybe 20 attempts of sleeping and only 2 hours of sleep we finally got close enough I could stay awake and watch us land.

 I walked off the plane feeling...well, very tired. (Thank you all the delt with me that day. lol.) We did a little running here and there and seeing this person and that person and I'm lucky to remember any of it. I was just soaking everything in.

Welcome to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The next day was when the amazingness finally soaked in. Africa is beautiful. The people are beautiful. I miss it already. I'm sitting in my lab at school and wishing I was there. I miss the smiles on the kids faces when we walked in the orphanges. I miss the feeling it gave me to see them happy.

This picture is just from the web because I can't post pictures of the actual kids.
They deserve that more often. I really dont know what to post. but I had an amazing time and with the work of God I'll be going back soon :)  I finally got to meet the kids my 2nd family adores so much. And guess what? I don't blame them. They are adorable, smart, funny and even though you can't understand a slight bit of what they are saying they still make you smile. They are meant for soooo much more. Each one with their own little talents and things they love to show you. They do just about anything to have your attention. If even for a second they have someone watching them, smiling at them, saying "Good Job!" That makes their day so much better. Simple little things like teaching them to wink. which by the way is super cute. :)

Sitting at the airport waiting to fly home was the hardest part of it all. Sitting there waiting for the plane to board and all these things running through your head. "I'm leaving these amazing people" "Why cant I do more?" "When will I be back?" "Will they still be here?" "Why does it hurt so bad when I know I'm going home to my family?" I fought back tears knowing if I broke down, Jaime would break down and that would just make a big scene in the middle of the airport.


The place where emotions spin.
Plane ride home was much worse than the one there. People kicking my seat, kids screaming. Just completely uncomfortable. Mind racing, heart aching, and on top of that I had already watched all the movies on the flight in.lol. Once we got to Washington it sank in that I was going to be going home to the amazing Thanksgiving dinner my lovely grandma waited to make til I got home. Never in my life was I so happy to hear Christmas music. It's usually totally annoying but sitting at the airport hearing it made me slightly happy, relaxed.


The song that stuck in my head

Praying for my little PB&J until I see them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment